It’s not lost on me that my early college years are over. Those days I thought I was so cool and classy because I was wearing a headband and an argyle sweater with a collar, really don’t happen anymore.
Of course, “preppy” never really goes out of style, but the way in which it’s carried out, definitely does! Here are FIVE ways to wear “preppy” style in a modern, refreshing way:
- Plaid skirts are one of the most stereotypical school girl items. So how do we wear this item without fitting into this stereotype? Try to find ones that have a grunge vibe going on as well. A burgundy, navy, and white plaid skirt like the one above can definitely be termed “grunge” when paired with a black leather moto jacket, or be termed “classy and sophisticated” when worn with a black turtleneck. It’s all about how you spin it!
- This Spring we’re going to be seeing blazers everywhere! Blazers are no longer a preppy professional item. Blazers can be worn with jeans for a totally chic weekend look. While I used to be a huge fan of blazers, I’m still a bit too caught up in leather moto jackets at the moment.
- Be preppy in pastels. Spring is one of my favorite times of year because it means a switch from dark, bold colors to soft, feminine pastels. Any “preppy” look with a hint of soft shades will help bring some much needed “feminine glam” into the look!
- Straight hair with internal layers. Although I generally prefer to curl my hair, I was recently reminded of how sleek and sexy straight hair can be when done right. Old school preppy looks often featured pin straight hair of the same length. This look got boring fast! Modern preppy welcomes straight hair with a twist: lots of layers and long side swept bangs!
- Soft pink lipstick. The “preppy” look is a lot better when it’s got an added feminine vibe. Pink lipstick, either matte or glossy, will definitely do the trick!